Saturday, August 16, 2008


It's so hard to get back into the swing of things after spending almost a week in a place as beautiful as this:

But I'm back, and back at it. I woke up at 4:30 am EST last Tuesday to catch my early flight out of Traverse City. My plane was delayed in Detroit, so I didn't get into Salt Lake City until around 1:30 pm MST. I forgot to grab my bag getting off the parking lot shuttle, so I had to wait for the bus to come back around. I didn't get out of the parking lot until almost 2:30. Then I drove back to Elko, arriving at 5:00 pm PST. I dropped off my stuff and went right to Frisbee. I just didn't want to be at home yet, even after such a long travel day. In fact, I didn't get into bed until after 10:30 pm PST (or 1:30 am EST). Then on Wednesday I worked then went climbing and rappelling (my first time!). I stayed out late that night, too. I was surprised to feel so jet-lagged on Thursday.

I've been busy, but it's been fun to be back, even though I'd rather still be in the woods. A bunch of us went to the Indian restaurant last night to celebrate some August birthdays. They had belly dancing, which turned into Bhangra dancing. Everyone was dancing: the belly dancers, the waiters, the owner, a few kids, and some of us. Afterwards a couple of us got a quick lesson from the owner's son. I was quite tired leaving the restaurant. That's the best thing about Elko, in my opinion. It's possible to be surprised with something extraordinarily fun at any time.

So, knitting. I haven't knit much since getting back, but I finished the Endpaper Mitts while in Northwoods. They are really small because my gauge was waaaaaay off. I gave them to one of the caretakers who also plays the viola. I love the viola and she said she'd use them when practicing. Since they didn't have an intended recipient, she was the perfect giftee.

I liked knitting these. You can see that I screwed up a couple times. I'd start to get confident that I knew the pattern without checking the chart and then I'd mess up. I didn't notice this huge mistake until it was really too late to go back without much irritation. I also had trouble with the purl stitch. It was always really loose and I couldn't seem to tighten it up, especially on the thumb. I have a ton of of yarn left. I think I might just add them back into the Panda Silk stash for something with lots of color.

I'm working on the second sock for my sister. I'll see her next year at my grandparents' wedding. They have been married for fifty years, but have always wanted to get married in the church. The priest they have been working with told them they can finally get married because after fifty years it's obvious that their marriage is blessed. I can't wait. I hope my brother will be able to get leave from the Army for this, because we should all really be there. I'll also get a chance to see Jen and family, so that's a huge bonus.

I may not have anything to blog about for another couple weeks because of the wedding and other travel coming up (I'm going to Burning Man, too). I'm thinking of entering the February Sweater in the fair, so cross your fingers.


Carrie K said...

Is that beach shot in Elko? :)

The Endpapers look gorgeous! I couldn't keep that pattern straight in my head to save my life, but it is pretty.

Sounds like you had a fun trip and need to go on another one STAT.

Carrie K said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you're having fun!