I also created a simple spreadsheet to determine what needles I need. Though I have at least half the sizes in 24", I don't have needles with cord lengths longer than that. The problem is, the needles won't come for a week or two. I hope the mail is faster. As long as I get them before I leave for the National Cowboy Poetry Gathering, I should be fine.
This all leads to something I've been thinking about. I have this tendency to create lists of projects I must work on. Right now, my list is 15 projects long, and 10 of them are things I feel like I have to knit. Many of them have deadlines, both actual and self-imposed.
I do this thing where I make these lists and then I find other things that are more pressing, or I don't have the yarn (or needles) to make what I want from the list, so I make something "quick" instead. Now, this wouldn't really be a problem except that I purchase what I need for all the projects on the list and then I don't knit them.
Remember the Bea Ellis kit? That's in the waiting pile. So is the yarn for the other colorwork hat, We Call them Pirates. I'm working on the fingerless gloves for my sister and a sweater for Joseph (it is on hold until I get the 16" needles--the two Bryspun circulars for such a large diameter was not fun). I've purchased yarn for a special something for Jen. I also started a bag for her, out of some Summer Tweed by Rowan, but I may try to starch it into a bowl. I didn't like the way it was turning out. And I just made that hat for me, which wasn't on the list.
So I have all these projects planned and what do I do? I buy more yarn (and fleece) for some thrummed mittens. I try to start on some slippers. This is just like me. I haven't even swatched for Jen's something. I have one glove down but haven't started the other. Will I ever get to the other things on the list? Will I ever get to the list I made in June? Will I ever make something just to try (the thrummed mittens will satisfy that)? I don't know how I'll ever get a sweater finished again. I get so distracted (I have had a sweater minus one sleeve in the waiting basket since October).
Here's my current list, with due dates listed. I'll bold the items for which I have specifically purchased yarn, and star the items for which I'll use stash yarn. If it's not bold or starred, I will purchase the yarn at some point.
- Fingerless Gloves, due before it gets warm in southern Utah.
- Bag for Jen*, no due date, but I've wanted to make one since June
- Sweater for Joseph*, due the next time I visit them
- Dress for Renée, due along with Joseph's sweater
- Pirate hat, due before the cold weather ends
- Bea Ellis hat
- Socks for Stefan, due next visit to Michigan
- Something for Jen, due next visit
- Something for coworker*, due in July
- Thank you gift (haven't decided what) for a gift I received in November*, due soon
- Wristlet*, due soon (I'm keeping all my essentials in my coat pocket right now)
- Thrummed hunter's mittens, due February 23 or so
- Thank you hat* for recent visit to CO, due before cold weather ends
- Curtain for kitchen*
- Jacket (this is just something I've wanted to make. Like the Bea Ellis hat and curtain, it probably will be a while before I even think about it).
I wish I had pictures to end this long post, but I only have a floppy bowl/bag and one glove finished.