Friday, August 14, 2009

Conundrum

I had a high school teacher who would always say "Questions? Comments? Conundrums?" before moving on from the current topic.

I have a conundrum. I am working on the Holly Jacket. It's a fun knit so far. But I have been looking at the picture of the sweater, and at some completed Hollys on Ravelry and the Knitting Daily Galleries, and I'm not sure it's going to look good on me. I don't need more emphasis on my hips--trust me. And I'm knitting it in a color that doesn't look good on many people--yellowgreen--so I can't gift it. So what do I do? Knit it for the fun of it? That's a lot of time going into something that won't be worn. Frog it? But I'm enjoying the knitting, and I'm to the armholes on the back. I've even been staying up late-ish to work on it, which hasn't happened in so long and feels so sleepily good. Stop where I'm at and use the rest of the yarn (Ella Rae Shibu [very nice to knit with, but a little splitty]) for something else? I don't know! I don't have anything else I am desperate to knit, and the socks I'm working on are feeling too wooly for the weather. Silk is perfect.

In other news, Jacque and I are hiking the Ruby Crest Trail this weekend. Three days for 43 miles, and we're sharing a tent with her gaseous dog. I can't wait.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that's a cute pattern that will skim over your hips, and the interesting top will draw attention upwards, where you want it. But you never know until you try it on, do you?

The hike sounds great-should be beautiful!

Knittingmama said...

I agree with AndyMeg. I don't think it will make your hips the focal point, it will accentuate them. I also like the color. I know it probably isn't an accurate representation on the web, but it's not like chartreuse or anything. I say finish it. You are already so far along with it, and you are enjoying it. Go on! Post pics when you are finished.

Anonymous said...

This is so cute! I think it will look great on you and you will feel comfortable with it swishing around your hips instead of being tight to them. And when you sit down, it will lie down very prettily around you. You will have to find THE perfect buttons! Have fun hiking and happy knitting.

Rose said...

I say keep knitting; you can always modify it around the hip area, right? And you might not even need to.

Knitting Linguist said...

I agree with the folks above -- peplum-type sweaters tend to be flattering to those of us with hips (I know whereof I speak). Go for it! If you really hate it once you're done, you can frog it then, but at least you'll know for sure.

Have fun on your hike -- it sounds like a fabulous trip (gaseousness notwithstanding...)!

Carrie K said...

I think it'll be more flattering than you think and you should finish it.

Tatiana said...

it'll flatter your tiny waist.
and belated happy birthday.