Saturday, April 21, 2007

Happy Birthday, DG


Today is DG's birthday. I thought I'd share a picture of the gift I made (I also sent two books, a skein of silk yarn, and a pair of Lantern Moon needles). He says it fits perfectly.

I think the lopsidedness will work itself out. I used two strands of Euroflax Originals held together on size 9 needles. The whole apron only used two skeins, plus some green for the ties. I knit a rectangle based on DG's measurements, increased to half his hips measurement, then continued down to where I thought an apron should hit (top of the knees--I got that measurement from him, too). DG didn't question what I needed all those crazy measurements for. He thought maybe a dress.

It's all stockinette with a seed stitch border. I used size 8 needles to make the I-cord ties--which are long enough to tie in the front--and the seed stitch neck piece, which was picked up along one edge and connected with a button I sewed on the inside of the apron on the other side.

The IK pattern reminded me that I'd been thinking of making something like this for DG. I didn't follow it, and I didn't follow the one in the Knitty archives either. Neither were manly enough, and both went all the way around the lower body, which I didn't want. DG's is really just two rectangles anyway.

1 comment:

aimee said...

YAY!!! finally!!! wohooo! i love it. i'm glad it got to him all safe and sound.