Friday, August 31, 2007

On Hold

Because of the incredible waves Ravelry is making, and because I did not have the foresight to see that it is going to change the world of knitting as we know it (there are 11352 people in front of me on the waiting list), I am putting my knitting blogs research on hold. The social networking aspect of Ravelry is going to become the primary networking and community building space for all knit bloggers very soon. The interest that it has generated and the groups that have already formed is incredible. I'd hate to do all this research on blogs only to have another community forming right under my nose.

If I felt like I had the time, I'd contact the Ravelry folks and talk to them about the phenomenon they have created. That would be the cutting-edge research I should be thinking of conducting. But with all my life changes and preparations for those changes (like moving in a month, packing, selling my condo, starting a job, finishing the fieldwork I'm currently doing, buying a car, learning to live in the desert, and so on), I just don't have the time to be at the forefront of research.

Thank you to everyone who answered my questions. I will save them for when I get back to this research. I am so grateful to you for taking the time to participate. I may not have started a blog of my own if it weren't for the research, and now blogging has become an important part of my knitting. I am so pleased to have made some blog friends and to feel a part of this community. I am especially thankful to those of you who have included my blog on their reading list, and I'm glad I've added so many interesting blogs to my reading list. Thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder about that. If the servers work out nicely, it'll change things. But right now, it's pretty slow and while there are message boards, there's still a lot more going on in the blogs. It's the difference I think between community and friends.