Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Warming Up

So far, work has been good. I've only been there two days, and today was full of meetings. I feel like I have enough knowledge now to really start working. The weather has improved, too. Today we saw a high of seventy--and a low of thirty. I think these vast temperature differences are normal for the desert, but it's going to take some getting used to. I wore leg warmers this morning but walked home this evening in short sleeves and with bare legs.

I finished some mittens. I started them in Chicago and finally got around to finishing them this weekend. I made a mistake in the same spot on both mittens, so they are a bit tight. I'm hoping that they will loosen up, since they are a cotton/silk blend. I designed the slip stitch (mosaic) pattern myself, with a little math correction from a friend. Three times thirteen is thirty-nine, I've learned. I like the effect of the slip stitch, but I find the yarn strains a little over two rows. It's even worse over one row, like in my mistake, but I'm not sure why.

I'm not sure what to make next. I have a couple things in mind for Dan, but I don't have the yarn for it. Really. I have some nice Top of the Lamb, but only in one color (graphite). I don't want to make a solid color hat. Especially since he wants earflaps. It will be too helmet-like. I might use that yarn for some slippers, though. I have to research some men's slippers in a worsted-weight yarn. I guess I could work on Usferud. I did promise it to a friend in Chicago. I should get that done before it gets cold there.

Tomorrow I'm going to the Trailing of the Sheep Festival. For work. I think I might love this job.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear the weather is improving. Don't worry, it is now normal fall weather in Chicago--high of 58 today. Nice to hear things are going well at work. We miss you already!

Anonymous said...

Hello, Its your cousin Jen. Nana gave me this site to get a hold of you. I wasn't sure if you still had the same email address or not. Anyway it seems we are finally getting to Chicago about time huh. Oh and guess what you aren't there anymore... So I was wondering if you could give some ideas on stuff I can do with the kids that doesn't cost to much money. Limited funds and four days in Chicago. So email me when you get this ok. I am so happy you found a job you love. Let me know next time you are coming to Michigan please. I love your work by the way I want some mittens. Love you!!